Saturday, November 3

Sniff

It's my last hour in my apartment on 830 8th Ave.
I'm a little sad.
The fridge is empty. I've emptied all the garbage and recyclables. I've collected all the towels and sheets. I've packed (another miracle - I bought way more than I thought!) and now I'm just writing my final blog entry before I fly home.

Yesterday, I took my walk downtown. I went over to Madison Avenue and as soon as I crossed 39th St. it was literally like being in a different city. The streets were pretty empty except for the various workers. There was nothing open. There were no streetlights working. It was noticeably darker, quieter and eerier. It was such a strange vibe that I didn't walk very far before wanting to get back into the electrified part of the city.

The Chrysler Building
I walked up to 42nd St and decided to go east. I got some good views of the Chrysler Building, which is still my favorite building in the city. I went as far as 2nd Ave and decided to start heading back home. So I walked up to 47th St to to back toward 8th Ave and much to my surprise I walked right through the Diamond District. It was so crazy - shop after shop after shop selling diamonds, jewelry, gold. It was kind of like Canal St in that there was someone every two feet shoving a paper in your hand or letting you know "We buy gold!" I'd seen this on Law and Order, but had forgotten about it. Another exploration surprise.

I walked home, went to lunch one last time at Sosa Borella. I had to have my grilled veggies, polenta and goat cheese before I left!! Then came home to start packing.

I had no idea how much stuff I'd brought, I finally had to go out and buy a duffle bag to get it all home. So even though I sent a packed bag home with Gina - I still ended up with three bags to check. DANG IT! $$$$$$ to the airline. Oh well - it's still cheaper than shipping.

After packing, I cleaned out a lot of stuff and took some things to my neighbors. I'd also donated quite a bit of stuff to one of the shelters this morning. I watched a little of the Concert to raise money for the people here. Did you all see Billy Joel? He still sounds amazing!! Then I decided I had better get some dinner. I was planning on going to Toloache one more time, but they were totally packed and it was going to be 2 hours to wait (no, thanks!) So, I just started wandering. A lot of places were really full so I just kept going until I saw Ellen's Stardust Diner. I remembered the girls telling me that the waiters/waitresses sing - so I popped in.

THEY DO SING - they sing all kinds of Broadway and other hits - they are all aspiring Broadway actors. I had to wait like 20 minutes, but it was totally worth it. What a fun place to go on my last night in New York City - especially after living in the Theater District the whole time!!

As I look around my little apartment, a ton of memories flood over me - what a great trip! I am so, so grateful for the opportunity to do this. I experienced more than I can ever recount, I learned tons, I enjoyed myself beyond measure and I got to share it with people that I love and love to be with.

I'm one blessed chicly!

This is where I went to the Dr. last week.
Unbelievable!



Grand Central Terminal

The Diamond District

No comments:

Post a Comment