Friday, October 12

Meet Us @ The Met

Cindy & Tami - ready to tackle the Met
Have you ever spent 7 hours walking/on your feet?

You can do it if you're looking at the most unbelievable collection of artifacts from around the world, across time & history in one big building in New York City!

We went to the Met.

Egyptian gold sandals & finger tips
We spent 5 hours in the museum and didn't see everything, not even close to everything. We started in the Egyptian area. I had no idea the sheer quantity of pieces they have in this museum. We wished we had taken a tour with a guide because we had so many questions. We did the Greek and Roman areas next. I loved this area. The jewelry, especially, was so intricate and detailed. We also saw many, many, many statues and many, many bowls and vases. If I added up every vase I've ever seen in my whole, entire life - it would not equal the number of vases I saw today. What is the human races' fascination with vases?
Hey! It's a Roman!

One of the areas I loved the most were the European homes. They had full rooms recreated with real furniture of typical wealthy homes from France (Louis XVI, etc), England - all the way from Tudor - the mid 1800s, and American homes from the revolutionary war up to the early 1900s. It was immense - I can't believe how many large spaces this museum holds.

The wee bagpipes
After the rooms, we saw musical instruments from all over the world and through so many different eras - they had a whole case of bagpipes and another one of accordions. There were beautiful old pianos with wooden keys, harpsichords and a completely ostentatious piano with keys made of mother of pearl and tortoise shell.

The Iconic Warhol Marilyn
We went on to the painting galleries where we saw the Dutch masters, Impressionists, Realists, Cubists, Modernists and every other "ist" there is to see! There was an Andy Warhol exhibit that we kinda blew through - I really need to see that one in more detail when Kath and I return next week.

By this time, we were exhausted. Our feet were throbbing and we were cross-eyed from reading the maps! After wandering around in circles like dazed zombies, I finally asked a guard, "How do we get outta here!?!?" He kindly directed us to the elevator. We rode up before we rode down and when we got to the fourth (and uppermost floor) there was a whole group of ladies looking to get on. Cindy innocently says, "We're going up," (thinking we were on the 3rd floor, not the fourth) and closed the door. We rode down alone, laughing hysterically as we let her in on the fact that she totally dissed this group of women waiting on the elevator; which is only equal to me totally cold clocking a random guy across the chest as I attempted to put my coat on while walking out in the crowd!! (Oops)
Illuminated Bible from St. Augustine's time

We took a taxi back to Rockefeller Center to check the progress on the ice rink (it's coming along!) I'm still waiting for Wollman Rink to open!! We got some more macaroons from La Mansion du Chocolait and then picked up Chinese food at Ruby Foo's - so yumz.

Back home. Snuggly in our jammies with tummies full - we are reminiscing about our adventure at the Met and enjoying a few more laughs.

More memories from our day...

First - a carriage ride through the park
Off they go with Sean and Harry!
Tami wubs the horses - Harry was a sweetie
Waiting in the park as the girls take their carriage ride.
The leaves are starting to turn - it's prettier every week.

We got these amazing Belgian Waffles as a snack
This place did a throw-down with Bobby Flay

Tammy got a cone filled with strawberries

This had a gingerbread sauce on it





Hall of Armor and Armory - crazy swords and guns in this one


Egyptian temple & pools

Cool packet of stuff for take-out from Ruby Foo's (a tray for your sauce!)




1 comment:

  1. This seems like an excellent time of year for your visit. We never know what great things are in store as we wait and wade through stiff. Hope you're having some reflective time and receiving guidance. Love you lots and lots!

    ReplyDelete