Friday, October 26

Pasta, Chicken and Farro - OH MY!

We had a major guest change-over today.
Gina dropped her stuff off early in the morning as she headed out to Ellis Island.
The girls left around 11.
Gina moved in about 3.
Jules left about 3:39!

Whew... I'll miss the house full of guests.

Chelsea Market is in the former
Nabisco Factory
In the morning, Jules and I went to Chelsea Market and walked the Highline. We scanned through all the shops and bought a few things here and there. We split lunch at SaraBeth's Bakery - which is where mom and I ate @ Chelsea Market as well.

Blurry fall color on the Highline
The Highline was gorgeous, of course. Even though I'd just been there a week ago - it amazed me how much had already changed. There was a change in color in the few plants that do change color and because it was a gray day - it just had a different feel.

We got home about 2 o'clock which gave us some time to rest and relax before Jules had to catch her taxi to JFK. Resting was good because this evening Gina and I went to a Tuscan Cooking Class at the Rustico Cooking Company. It was SO MUCH fun! I really enjoyed it.

The Kitchens
They have one whole set up on the 2nd floor and another one on the third floor in midtown (39th b/w 5th and 6th Ave). There were 18 of us in the class and we learned how to make: gnocchi, fresh pasta with roasted asparagus, roasted chicken with lemon and rosemary, sautéed spinach with nutmeg, farro salad and panna cotta. The chef who taught the class was excellent and she had a lot of stuff prepared for us ahead of time. She also has the coordination of everything down to a science - so it made it really fun. She tries to get the students to do most of the work, so even though you don't get to try everything - everyone gets to do something and you at least learn how to do it.

Our main course
My favorite part was making the fresh pasta. It's so easy and I think I could do it myself. I hope my mom still has her pasta roller!! The gnocchi, which is my dad's favorite pasta, was SUPER easy to make - so we are excited to make it for my dad. You just need a potato ricer which I'm also hoping my mom has!!

It was like a being on a Food Network show and getting to participate and then eat the food. It was really fun to eat what you cooked and/or watched being cooked. I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting or anyone who lives in the area. Five out of Five ShelStars!!!



Geeg is ready to cook 

As is Shel

Cool wall art


The fridges and ovens

The dining area

Ready to make fresh pasta


No comments:

Post a Comment