Tuesday, October 2

Rainy Day of Wandering

The Dairy in Central Park
I slept in - felt so good! After coffee and lounging I decided to explore my neighborhood - I headed to Central Park and took a really nice stroll... It started to rain and I'd unfortunately left my umbrella in the apartment - despite the weather man's warning this morning. Being an AZ girl, I tend to ignore when they say "chance of rain." Key learning!

Wollman Rink
I walked by a playground, the carousel, The Dairy and then found Wollman Rink which, sadly, isn't open yet.

I walked out of the park at 6th Avenue, so decided to wander down that way. When I saw Radio City Hall in the distance, I decided to try to take the tour. Something I've been wanting to do, but never have had the time. I was just in time for the next tour and only had to wait about 15 minutes.

I learned a lot! Radio City Music Hall was built in 1933 (the same year as my parents!). It was saved from being torn down in the 70s when it was named a historical landmark. Then in 1999, they spent 70 million dollars refurbishing it to its original 1933 glory. It has a system of hydraulic stages that work like elevators - they use the very same technology for the stage from the 1930s! Pretty cool The stage is as long as a city block. The stage was designed to look like a sunset over the ocean... very cool!

The Grand Hall
A Ladies Room - So "Mad Men!"

The Theater in Radio City











The dance of the tin soldiers, that the Rockettes do at the Christmas Spectacular has remained unchanged in costume and choreography since the very first show!!
We did actually meet a Rockette - and she was quite snotty.







No comments:

Post a Comment