Eleanor Roosevelt
If you did not know me in my youth - especially the late 80s - you likely do not know that I was a diehard, fanatic Duran Duran fan. I wasn't a groupie. I didn't have the means nor the scope of understanding to be a groupie, but I was an enthralled and obsessed fan. I knew all the songs by heart. I had video-taped all of their videos from MTV. I wore out my tape of Live Aid and "The Making of Live Aid." I scoured every Tower Records in every city I went to - to find Duran stuff.
I had all the albums. All the posters. All the books, programs, pins and whatever paraphernalia that I could find pre-internet and that could be supported by my babysitting jobs. I even had a Duran Duran purse. My favorite band member was Simon Le Bon, followed closely by John Taylor. I had a collection of Simon Le Bon stuff in the corner of my room that was something like a mini-shrine. My mother bribed me to take it all down!
He was supposed to start at 12:30. So I figured to amble over there at 10 and see what was going on. I mean, really. How many fans does this guy still have?
The answer: A lot!
When I got to the bookstore after 10, there was already a long line of 40-something women, books in hand. A whole crowd of them had gotten there at 5:00 in the morning! Wow! Good thing I decided to come over early. My first thought had been to show up around 11:30. I bought my book and got in line. And there I me the REAL groupies.
These gals (and one guy, who is a middle school teacher) had not forsaken D2 in the early 90s as I had. They have remained loyal and fanatical up to this very day. They had albums I'd never heard of. They'd followed the band around the country on their tours. They all took OFF WORK to be there today. I literally couldn't believe it. They knew every album, every tour, every person that had replaced one of the original 5 as the originals have moved in and out of the band at various stages. It was crazy!!!
It was a little overwhelming to me to listen to these folks talk in detail about this band and all their various encounters with them. I had a hard time understanding dedicating the better part of your life and energy to people you don't even know and who don't know you. Women were fixing their hair, reapplying their make-up, worrying about how their clothes looked. Can I remind you that they were all over 40?!?!? Fascinating. I am thankful that God has filled my life with so much purpose and so many wonderful people whom I actually know - that although this was fun - it wasn't that big of a deal.
I guess I grew out of all that.
Mom... aren't you glad?
| Me and JT - how come he isn't smiling? |
![]() |
| I probably shouldn't mention he has a major bald spot! |
![]() |
| Shel & the REAL groupies! |
| I would've killed someone for this back in the day! |


No comments:
Post a Comment