Monday, October 29

Sandy Preparation Strategies (SaPS)

Times Square - tourists abound!
It's Monday.
Hurricane Day.
It's supposed to hit NYC at 3pm and last until 3am.
Then continued rains through tomorrow.

Anticipating that I'll be cooped up in my apartment for most of the next two days, I decided to take a walk since it was only drizzly and slightly windy this morning.

About 70% of the stores and restaurants are closed but there are a few diehards out there making their last dime before they have to shut down. My street is pretty empty. All major businesses are closed. The subways shut down at 7pm last night and the busses shut down at 9pm. The taxis are out in full force and a few cars here and there.

As I got closer to Central Park, the wind started to really pick up and as I entered the park, the wind was CRAZY! With no buildings to really block it, it was quite strong and literally pushing me along the path. I decided that was probably not the smartest place to be - so I walked back downtown towards Times Square. I started noticing the various strategies that people have put in place to (hopefully) minimize the hurricane damage. I thought some of them were pretty funny - so I took some pics and have them to share with you.

I've now copyrighted the title: Sandy Preparation Strategies (SaPS!)

1. The Disney Store - the most prepared. They are completely boarded up and the company that did it tagged themselves on the front. Great advertising!


2.  The guys at McDonald's used masking tape! I guess that secret sauce really does make you smarter!! Did someone see this on Pinterest or something?

3.  The genius engineers of Microsoft put sandbags down. I'm not sure how that will help when a garbage can goes flying through their glass doors, but whatev!

4.  Big pumpkins are Halloween decorations or ballast for the planters? You decide.

5.  This is what I like to call the "Hire-a-Big-Guy" strategy. I'm sure he can fend off the wiles of Hurricane Sandy!

 6. Inglot, a make-up store, threw some towels down. I can just see the employees as they were closing last night, "What should we do?" "Ummm, There's some towels in the back!" "OK!"
 

7.  And my favorite is this: I call it the "Screw you, Sandy!" Strategy - we're just staying open. Gelato is served!!

Here's some other funny stuff I saw:
My "Seinfeld Coffee Shop", Cosmic Diner, was  open
for business and packed full with a line!

We sell flashlight, but we not open!







No comments:

Post a Comment