Sunday, October 14

Ready for a Nap

What a weekend!

Cindy and Tami's last day was Saturday and we really wanted to see the Central Park Zoo. It was such a nice little zoo. It's crazy that it is sitting, quite literally, in the middle of a big city. We did a little shopping in the "Zootique" and went to see the animals.

They have a really nice tropical area that had birds of all kinds, bats, snakes, and other creatures that live in the tropics. It was fun to be able to get pictures up close of all the different birds. It was amazing the diversity they had given the kind of space they have available. I was able to get a pretty good picture of a bat hanging upside down from the ceiling. Kinda freaky. Kinda cool. The cutest animal in the tropics area was the mongoose. I'm not sure I've ever seen a mongoose before, but they were very playful and quite cute!

We explored the Polar Circle - saw loads of cute penguins, a red panda, snow monkeys and the backside of the Polar Bear. My favorite exhibit at that zoo is the Polar Bears, so I was really sad that there was only one and he was not at all interested in playing or looking at people looking at him :( Oh well, maybe next time. The snow leopard eluded us as well.

The seals were really cute and one did show off for us and pose for pictures!

Our resident animal enthusiast 
We cruised by the children's zoo to pet and feed the goats and alpacas - and then ventured back out in the wilds of New York City where Cindy FINALLY got to visit the TJ MAXX exhibit in midtown. (ha ha!)

Cindy and Tams finished packing and we got them a cab straightaway to JFK.

I also packed and headed to Penn Station and with the help of Micheale texting me with blow-by-blow instructions, navigated the NJ Transit and got on the right train to Maplewood! Elie and Micheale picked me up and we stopped by their friends' house for s'mores from the firepit (with very expensive flavored marshmallows - YUM!) Then Cheryl made us a fantastic dinner and we colored and played with animal stickers and chatted before bedtime.

Micheale dropped me off at church in the morning - and I had such a great day seeing everyone in Livingston. There was a preacher there from the UK, Paul Coulson - he was awesome!! And lucky me - I happened to show up on a "best dish" lunch day - where everyone brings their best dish. Did I totally score or what?!?

An awesome couple, who live in Chelsea, offered me a ride home. It was so fabulous to get a ride and not have to navigate trains and subways (not that I mind - but it was really nice!) They offered to take me to/from church anytime and gave me loads of great recommendations for more neat non-tourist things to do in the city and, of course, great restaurant and coffee place ideas. I'm dying to go to a coffee place that has latte artisans!!

Such a great weekend!
Now I am doing laundry and getting ready to take a monster nap...

More animal shots from the Zoo:


Furry Bat


Snow Monkey

Backside of the polar bear

Red Panda


SEAL!

Penguins

1 comment: